Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Worship Conference 2017: B-I-N-G-O!


Some people are born, go to school, get married, have kids, and die all in the same city with a rare excursion outside their comfort zone.

I am not one of these people.

With the family that I have, the hobbies that I love, and the job that I do, I have spent time all over America (and the world) and have met many people. Sometimes it makes reacquainting with someone a little difficult. Where did I first meet this person? Are they someone from my teaching job? Were they around when I was at school? Is it a friend of a family member?

At Worship Conference, it seems like I am seeing people from all my moments in life - since music has been a key ingredient to my existence, that would only be natural. And I will admit, there have been lots of times when I have a conversation with someone I know, but I can't remember why I know them!

Just recently, I was at my brother's church. One of his congregational members looked familiar, and he came up and talked to me like he remembered me. I did have to ask him why I knew him, and he said that we'd done FOC together eight years earlier! And once he said that, I knew exactly who he was.

I've met thousands of people, and sometimes it's hard to keep track of familiar faces - especially if I only see them once every three years. So this year I decided to make it a little more interesting. I decided to create Worship Conference BINGO!


As you can see, I was able to easily draft a standard-size BINGO card filled with acquaintances from all the years of my life. And I'm thinking I can just as easily get a BINGO - perhaps even in the days before the official start of the conference!

Many of the people I know are family friends. That's why each of my family members is represented here with their own square. All of my full-time jobs are listed as well. I also have made sure to leave a lot of spaces for my educational past. It seems like half of the people I knew at Michigan Lutheran Seminary and Martin Luther College are present at Worship Conference!

So how do I go about filling my bracket? I guess it would be too easy if I just checked people off when I saw them walking on the other side of the street. It would be a good challenge for me to make sure to talk to that person, and then check them off.

Do I tell them about the BINGO card? Maybe not. Some people to which I would talk might think that's very weird. Others might find it hilarious. And still others might want to get in on the fun at the next Worship Conference!

This is an article I will definitely update once the Conference is in full swing. I'll let you know what "prize" I'll give myself if I happen to get five in a row, or maybe even fill in the whole card!

No comments:

Post a Comment